Thursday, January 30, 2014

My first Webinar experience

Webinar

The first time when I heard the term “Webinar”, I totally have no idea what is that about. Then, I have an opportunity to view a replay Webinar. I found that Webinar is a online lectures, seminars, workshop and conferences. Webinar is more than a live video; it is interactive. We can ask questions, share information and give feedback.

SAMR Model

The Webinar I viewed was presented by Susan Oxnevad. Her topic was “Teaching Above the Line – Using the SAMR Model of Tech Integration”. SMAR represents four levels to integrate technology into the classroom. Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and  Redefinition.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0DaWV5kmRKE/UY-ReNer36I/AAAAAAAALdA/-hkC0AVBLfQ/s1600/SAMR_AboveLine.jpg
 image01 source

As we see the image above, the substitution and augmentation levels, technology acts as a direct substitute. There is no learning goal of using technology and the tasks are the same. These two levels are below the line. At the modification and redefinition levels, learning goals and the tasks could not be completed without technology. The tasks have redesigned or new created. Learning has been transformed with using technology. Susan pointed out that for the beginning, teachers can start with the substitution level, have the students dip their feet into the technology world first. And the ultimate goal is climbing up to the modification and redefinition levels. Susan also indicated that teachers should create their own toolkit to design learning experiences. She demonstrated some tools, such as Google Docs, ThingLink, and wikis, etc.        



image02 source
                                                                            
                      image03 source
             

Great Experience

I learned a lot from the Webinar, All the educational technology that Susan introduced in the Webinar was so fascinating.  It really opened my eyes and I found myself so disconnected with this cyber world. I want to learn more about educational technology because it is very helpful in engaging teaching experiences. I also want to join more Webinar, especially live Webinar since I could not join live Webinar this time. I think that would be a different experience; I can actually interact with the presenter and the audiences as well.  

Source of SAMR Model: 

1 comment:

  1. This was a nice post explaining SAMR and the webinar process. Even though you couldn't join us "live" it seems as if you still got something out of the experience!

    ReplyDelete